Monday, February 27, 2006

But I don't wanna leave



I write a quarterly newsletter connected to my book website. The most recent issue (click the link above) was less than enthusiastic when it came to the President's budgetary proposal for controlling the Mexican border.

I received an email from an upset fellow. The key phrase went as follows:

Just to let you know, I am a republican and a Bush SUPPORTER!!!!!!!!!! I feel anyone who's not a supporter of our president shouldnt have the privledge of calling themselves an American. Please, leave me alone, and while you are at it, go ahead and leave the country.

For the record, I voted for Reagan, Bush 41, Dole, and Bush 43. I've never been overjoyed about the Bush votes, but when I sat back and considered the alternatives: Gore and Kerry--the choice became obvious.

That doesn't mean Dubya is immuned from criticism. His stance on the UAE Ports deal approaches a level of poplitical incompetence that rivals Jimmy Carter. His reluctance to do something substantive on the Mexican border looks like stubborness. The President's guest worker program sounds like amnesty.

Politicians should not be trusted any further than you can throw them. A healthy republic relies on public skepticism, and we should remain vigilant of those in Washington, our State House and the jokers running the local school board.

As to my emailing reader (ex-reader now), I intend to stay and keep talking. These colors (the red, white and blue) don't run and neither do I.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home