Saturday, January 03, 2009

Old War Horse


It was a cold day at the range. A major winter storm was on the way. Of course, I figure I need to take advantage of the great weather (16 above, light wind and damp cold) before it snows.
The guys on the line with me had the usual assortment of shotguns, AR15 rifles, modern handguns. I had a couple of Glocks and a .44 Magnum Desert Eagle. We were all blasting away.
After a while, I pull out my Lee Enfield Model 2A1. Most Enfields are chambered in .303, but the Ishapore Arsenal rechambered their Enfields to .308 (NATO standard). The British .303 ammo is expensive and difficult to find. NATO 7.62 (.308) is available and there are plenty of reloading recipes.
The two guys next to me asked me about the rifle. One of them said, "That looks really solid like it has been dragged through swamps and such." I don't know how long it sat it a storage armory, but ti took me a couple of weeks to get the gunk used to preserve the gun off the stock and metal parts.
Another guy said, "It looked like a real battle rifle." My shoulder certainly attests to the fact hat it kicks like a battle rifle. It shoots a bit high, but we are still getting to know one another.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home