Saturday, March 04, 2006

Humbling Experience

On March 3, 2006 I tested for 4th degree black belt. The test consists of basic kicks, classical karate, form (i.e.kata), combination kicks and punches, and self defense.

I tested for 1st degree in 1997, 2nd in 1999, and 3rd in 2002--so the testing format was not new to me. However, I was so focused on getting to and through the test that I did not reflect on what this belt level meant until after it was over.

In the early 1990s there were Ninja Turtles and my kids wanted to take karate. I followed them into the program months later. I remember sitting down with Cris Nelson and signing up for a 1 year program. I was out of shape and overweight having feasted on Doritos and Twinkies over the years. My idea of exercise was laying on the couch with the cat and watching the Vikings.

My life style and habits have changed radically since then. Cris is now a 6th degree black belt, he runs the National Karate Schools in Chicago, and he is a good friend.

There were 79 people testing for black belts. Four were testing for 5th degree, Alex Dingmann and I were testing 4th. Everyone else was testing for a lower belt level. The four people testing for 5th were Geoff Driscoll, Jesse Zaragoza, Gregg Sutherland and Kelly Worley. (So what am I doing here?) Perhaps those names don't mean anything outside of the National Karate context, all of them were instructors before I got off the couch. I've seen what these guys can do, and here I was standing next to them and testing for a very advanced belt. (This must be somebody's idea of a joke.)

I perused the program. There is a section where they list active black belts at 3rd degreee and higher. There are less than 2 dozen active 4th degree black belts--all of those are current or former instructors (except for me). Now I'm part of that list. I shoot guns, write books and run a consulting business.

My karate is not flashy. I don't do multiple spin jumps. I don't defy gravity. I am more of a ground based creature. So for my karate to work I have to concentrate on the basics. I know how to fight. I know how to defend myself and I hit the pads really, really hard.

As with many things in life, this is bittersweet. My father never saw me get that first black belt. He was quite interested in what I was doing and most Fridays over lunch he usually asked how it was going. He died of cancer five weeks before I tested in 1997.

Finally, I was that kid in school that got picked last in Phy-Ed. I did not do well in sports or anything athletic. The same kid grew up to become a 4th degree black belt. I think the only person who thought that might be possible is Cris Nelson. It just happened to me, and I still don't believe it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home