Thursday, June 26, 2008

2nd Amendment Stands


In a 5 to 4 decision, the Supremes got this one right. They struck down the DC gun ban, and indirectly took aim at similar laws in Chicago, New York and LA.
They affirmed that the 2nd Amendment guarantees an individual right to firearm ownership and the use of a weapon for self defense.
This is a ground shaking affirmation for 100 million gun owners nationwide. For people such as myself, it is a big sigh of relief. I have rights to carry in about thirty-five states: the combined coverage of my Minnesota, Florida and South Carolina carry permits.
While the decision stops at abolishing gun free zones (which are nothing more that target rich environments better labeled bullet magnets), it does clear affirm my individual right to own hand guns, and that said handgun does not need a trigger lock or to be disassembled. Furthermore, a responsible gun owner is going to have a safe to secure his or her weapons.
Of course, any weapon carried for personal protection is locked and loaded--bad guy beware.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Ben De Bono said...

This was a great decision and a major victory for Constitutionalism.

I agree with you about gun-free zones. They're soft targets and do more harm than good. However, I'm not sure it would have been good for the Supreme Court to abolish them. Private property rights are also important (and already under assault). I as a private citizen should be able to choose whether or not to allow weapons on my property.

In other words, my stance is similar to that of first amendment interpretations. Public censorship is not ok. Private censorship should be defended.

4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home